Traveling has always been my passion.
For years, I traveled across continents, particularly to Europe; but none compared to what Bandung has got to offer on your travel map. Of distinctive style and diversed culture, Bandung, unlike other Java Island cities, is cooler and romantic. With prehistoric legends of Lake Bandung and Sangkuriang, Bandung is commonly known as "Parijs van Java" (Dutch for Paris of Java).The city is inhabited mostly by the Sundanese, an ethnic of which their culture is rich, softly-spoken, polite, fairer and oh my god their women are exceptionally beautiful. C'est magnifique!
Bandung's topography is stratovolcanic, which means the soil is fertile and good for plantation. Even so, this volcanic grounds are reported as silenty active and as recent as 2007, Mt. Tangkuban Perahu was closed due to increasing volcanic signs (perhaps monster arising?). But positively, this factor contributes to tourism boost with tea plantation estates, hot springs and high-altitude sightseeing. It's not hard to tell that Bandung is a place where East meets West, in terms of couture, of course. Bandung has more factory outlets I ever seen, flooded with branded items of rare sights in KL (Prada, Versace, Chloe, etc.). And of course, for us, a place where millions of rupiahs are well spent. Talk about spending spree could never get enough. Even I couldn't contain my desire from spending madly.
Food, the other thing that travelers like me likes to venture. Sundanese cuisine is by far, moderate. The rice is different from what we used to consume (volcanic rice, eh?), their fare is quite dry and solid. The preferred drinks is a natural, sugar-free jasmine tea, which comes to my delight; and local cendol as well as avocado juice! According to some, they don't prefer Sunda fare, but Padang one instead. As for me, everything goes under my belly. Jamu, is an everyday consumption for locals here. I took two glasses of jamu every morning after breakfast... and I could feel the energy inside running through my veins.
Enough of this Anthony Bourdain-like mumbling. Let's talk about my adventure.
Day 1
I am overwhelm by the fact that we are going to travel to Bandung, yet my passport has some problems to be solved. I do some homework (watching Astro Aruna & listening to Indonesian songs) with my wife sighs. A lovely-hot homemade breakfast prepared by my wife, I am full till lunchtime. Getting aboard QZ 7603, I sit silently. What a boring flight (selalu sangat fly). The flight is roughly around 1 hour 50 minutes to Jakarta (it's like flying back home to Kuching), and we land safely at Bandara Internasional Soekarno-Hatta or Cengkareng (CGK). The bus journey takes 3 hours to reach Bandung, lunch stop in the midway (Restoran Sederhana Padang) where the first Indonesian fare is tasted. Belissimo! Continuing with our ride, it's great to see country views of Java. We are staying at Novotel, located within hotspots of Cihampelas, Padjajaran, Dago and Braga. The room is awesome, and it's only around RM129 a night! Our dinner is great (Arum Manis Restaurant), where I first tasted avocado cendol (and help finishing others' as well). Strolling along Cihampelas Street, I shop for the first time, and to my amazement, there's an Ultraman Dyna statue (though improperly sculpted, it's fine). Friends have to pull me off from there.
Day 2
A chilly trip to Tangkuban Perahu is amazing. Preceded by rain, the surroundings are shivering me. Reaching there, i looking at the caldera crater whispering: "I fought a monster here years ago". Such a fantasy. Well, it's a volcano, and it's magnificent. On the way to the hot springs, we stop at a vast, hilly tea plantation. We take our group photos there, and I become a tea-picker. Such fun! Our lunch is great with garden settings. A first taste of massive shopping comes at Dago area amidst heavy rain. Even rain couldn't deter everyone from shopping, including myself. Ah, I need a Marlboro Kretek. The night has different story. Our dinner becomes more exciting (Sindang Reret), where a first look at Sundanese dance makes me melt like butter. The dancers are divinely gorgeous! With some friends, we venture to the red area of Bandung (Braga) where we spend our night out karaoke-ing and checking out Sunda chicks (tsk tsk).
Day 3
Shopping is our main agenda for the day. Dressing like a hot chick, I steal the limelight of the day. Stopping at Bandung Municipal Hall, we gather to take a larger group photo. Bandung kids are enjoying their rollerblading morning, and I take a picture with them as well. Till afternoon, the shopping time is tiring me. I detach myself from the group, and make my way alone around the city (on foot, of course). I walk around Riau area, crossing the famous Persib Bandung FC stadium (Siliwangi Stadium) and try to get myself the team jersey, but the shop is closed. The lunch is just a throughfare (Simpang Raya), and at Pasar Baru, my real shopping extravaganza begins. I shop till I drop (literally) by falling off the escalator. Ouch, that hurts. I heard the crowd mumbling: "Mas, nggak apa-apa mas?" "Bisa bangun mas"... yeah, that hurts. I continue shopping, and at last I top my shopping list. As planned, five of us are wearing Ferrari F1 crew shirts to gala dinner, where I mesmerize myself with scrumptious meals, beautiful dances and humiliating myself in front of the crowds by dancing. Hmm. At room, Ratna (the masseur) gives a well-defined Sunda massage on me. Sexy. I feel re-energized to healthy blue (a la Ultraman).
Day 4
Nothing special today, as we all head to Kartika Sari cake house (emm, they say the brownies are great). A rainy journey back to Jakarta bids my Bandung goodbye with memories forgetten not. The lunch, by far is the worst I have, and arriving too early at CGK (no massive traffic jam as was expected) let me to spend my remaining romantic adventure in Indonesia before heading back to KL at night.
Lots of thanks to:
NSTP Malaysia (my company) - giving the best incentive trip ever for free.
CS Holidays Sdn Bhd & PT Tama Tours - best services, hospitality and warmth.
Novotel Bandung - warmth, plush, roomy, delicious breakfast & energetic massage.
Hendra - our tour photographer.
Anton - our bus tour guide.
Friends - for all their joy and fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment